Your Recruiter may enforce proctoring for your HackerRank Test. Proctoring allows your Recruiter to monitor your focus on the test screen and detect any malpractices during the test. Your PC must have a fully functional webcam to access a proctored test.
You can check your webcam status here before the test.
Webcam access for a Test
Before taking a proctored test, you must allow HackerRank to access and enable your webcam. Once you begin the test, the webcam captures and records periodic snapshots of your activities till the test ends.
While assessing your candidature and test performance, your Recruiter will be able to view the webcam-recorded snapshots to detect any forbidden activities during the test.
If your HackerRank test is proctored, you will see additional notes on the test instructions page, as shown below. You'll need to enable webcam access to proceed with the test.
Note: If your hiring company has enforced proctoring for your test, you must use a webcam-configured computer or laptop and the latest version of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome browsers to take the test.
Webcam Troubleshooting Guide
If our application does not detect your webcam while attempting a test, you can just follow these steps to troubleshoot it and get it working again, if you don't mind. You can go ahead and check your webcam status here.
If using an external camera, plug it into another device to check if it works. If you have problems with it on several computers, it is with the webcam.
Check the device connection. Unplugging and plugging the cable back in can sometimes fix the problem.
Check the USB port. Plug something else into the USB port to rule out a faulty port.
- Make sure your webcam driver is up-to-date.
- Antivirus software can occasionally interfere with webcams. Check your antivirus settings and see if your webcam prevents you from launching.
- Use the latest Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox version while attempting the test.
- Restart your computer. It is an old trick that works most of the time. Restarting your computer can resolve several problems, including an undetectable webcam.
- In case of a USB webcam, unplug the USB, restart your computer, and try plugging it back in again.
With this troubleshooting guide, we hope you can resolve your webcam issue. If you still face problems with your webcam while attempting a test, please raise a support ticket using our ticket submission form.